Lyra Heartstrings (Friendship is Magic)
|Occupation||Agent of S.M.I.L.E.|
|Voice actor||Britt McKillip|
|First||"Friendship is Magic"|
|Last||"The Big Mac Question"|
Lyra Heartstrings was a unicorn mare who spent her childhood in Canterlot, but later moved Ponyville in her adult life. The wife of Bon Bon and an agent of S.M.I.L.E., Lyra was an intelligent, loving, compassionate, eccentric, enthusiastic and energetic mare who loved to tell stories, sit on benches and party.
In her early life, Lyra lived in Canterlot and was educated at a series of high-end schools, such as the ol' Science Lab at Princess Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns. At these schools, she would befriend Minuette, Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine. During her young adult years, Lyra would often go out to eat with her friends, including Twilight Sparkle and Moon Dancer, both of whom she grew a small friendship with. Lyra may have been a linguist, as she took a class on Ancient Languages.
Lyra moved to Ponyville at some point after Twilight did, but often visited Canterlot to be with her friends. As a civilian, Lyra developed a love for sitting on benches and various athletic and cultural activities, such as participating in the Running of the Leaves and going to fashion shows. Lyra had a strong appreciation for cultural events, going as far as attending the Young Fliers competition, despite it being difficult for non-pegasi to travel to the coliseum, as it was made of clouds.
Back around this point, though she and Bon Bon would often appear near together, they rarely interacted, and often appeared at events without the other, such as when they both visited the Ponyville Schoolhouse talent show and one of Rarity's fashion shows, but not as a pair.
Lyra participated in many town events, showing that although she had recently just moved to Ponyville, she quickly became a member of its community. For her first Nightmare Night in the town, she dressed as a mummy and was among the ponies scared of Princess Luna, believing she would eat her. She also attended the Sisterhooves Social as an audience member and celebrated when Berryshine and Piña Colada won the event. Lyra appeared to look up to heroes and greatly respected heroic acts, as she was among the ponies who celebrated Rainbow Dash and later, the Mare Do Well's heroic acts.
Around this time, Lyra had her first known major interaction with Bon Bon, though they often appeared in each others vicinity beforehand. The two appeared to have a conversation near a well when Derpy popped ut of the well, ruining the moment. However, they still appeared at events separate from one another, which could be seen when they attended the play The Founding of Equestria, but in different areas or when they both waited grew interested in the Flim Flam Brothers apple cider, but at different locations.
A little later, Lyra had her next major interaction with Bon Bon as the two locked hooves and sung Smile. The two appeared to be truly becoming friends around this time, and ate lunch together a few days later near Ponyville market street, though Lyra seemed quite annoyed that about how much time Bon Bon took to get to her.
During the Invasion of Canterlot, Lyra, or potentially a changeling in her guise appeared as one of Queen Chrysalis's "bridesmaids". It was unclear what the real Lyra was doing during this time, but she was seen running from a changeling.
Secret Agent: Lyra
Lyra first came in contact with the world of S.M.I.L.E. on the day of Cranky and Matilda's wedding where Bon Bon broke down and finally told her that her birth name was Sweetie Drops and that she was a secret agent of S.M.I.L.E., though Lyra was initially saddened that her friend lied to her, she quickly realized that she was still her friend and the two reconciled before the wedding began.
Marriage and later life
After years of being in love, Lyra finally proposed to Bon Bon. Much to her joy, not only did Bon Bon say yes, but she was also about to propose to her. Coincidently, the two proposed to one another on the same day both Big McIntosh and Sugar Belle proposed to each other.
However, before they could get married, the Legion of Doom, now with Discord's power, attacked Equestria, nearly conquering the realm. Lyra took refuge in the School for Gifted Unicorns, but came to Equestria's aid as she fought alongside her fellow Equestrians to save the kingdom. In particular, Lyra and ther unicorns, including her good friend Twinkleshine, used their magic to create a forcefield around the Mane Six and Spike, shielding them from total destruction by the legion.
After The Apocalypse, the two got married, their marriage was reported about in a newspaper in Ponyville sometime before the Second Coronation of Twilight Sparkle. The two attended her second coronation with their friends and even after several decades, the two lived in Ponyville together.
Personality and traits
Lyra was an average sized pony with a minty green coat and mane, with golden-orange eyes with a similar colored magical aura.
Lyra was excitable and curious, especially excitable regarding her friend Bon Bon and curious enough to sit on benches in a unique way that she found comfy and she was apparently by far the most curious about Twilight's adventures. Lyra had a strong sweet tooth, which was one of the factors that lead her to befriending Bon Bon.
Lyra was incredibly enthusiastic, eccentric, and apparently improvident. According to Bon Bon, her "voice of reason", being friends with Lyra causes ponies to develop a strong degree of patience She was nevertheless, loving and compassionate, but was quick to annoy, especially by ponies such as Pinkie Pie. Lyra loved to tell stories, especially about Pinkie Pie, and often distracted ponies by doing so.
Lyra was related to a family of unicorns that inhabited the Canterlot-Ponyville area since at least the Age of Heroes. Very little of Lyra's family was known, but apparently they visited Ponyville when she was very young, which was where she first met Bon Bon, but didn't remember her until years later.
In other media
Lyra didn't appear in the Equestria Girls film, but played a relatively major part in its sequel, Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks as a pianist who performed a piano duet with Bon Bon and later starred in the Equestria Girls: Friendship Games short "All's is Fair in Love & Friendship Games" where she competed against Bon Bon for a spot in the CHS Friendship Games team.
She sat on a bench.
Behind the scenes
Her given name is a pun on the musical instrument lyre, while her surname is derived from the slang "heartstrings", often used in the context of something that makes someone feel sad.
Sexuality and characterization
Lyra was heavily speculated to be a lesbian due to her constant appearances with Bon Bon. She was, eventually, confirmed to be LGBT (though whether or not she was a lesbian or bisexual was yet to be confirmed) and she proposed to her "best friend" Bon Bon during "The Big Mac Question".
Lyra is noteworthy for having among the most consistent personalities of the background characters. She was almost always appeared in crowd shots for fashion and sport shows, solidifying her interest in said fields and was generally depicted as being friendly, kind and a bit cowardly in various episodes, but was brave when her loved ones were in danger.
Lyra is a member of the "Background Six", a fan-term referring to the group of the most prominent background characters, members of which are major enough to the story that they sometimes have major storyline roles, but are still generally background characters rather than side characters. Other members of the group include Derpy, Octavia Melody, Dr. Hooves, Vinyl Scratch and of course, Bon Bon. Though this initially began as a fan-term, it has been referenced in official material and the group were seen together on an alternate cover to Friendship is Magic #10.
- Friendship is Magic - "Amending Fences"
- Lyra and Bon Bon Save Hearth's Warming
- Friendship is Magic - "Slice of Life"
- Friendship is Magic - "Fall Weather Friends"
- Friendship is Magic - "Green Isn't Your Color"
- Friendship is Magic - "Sonic Rainboom"
- Friendship is Magic - "The Show Stoppers"
- Friendship is Magic - "Suited For Success"
- Friendship is Magic - "Luna Eclipsed"
- Friendship is Magic - "Sisterhooves Social"
- Friendship is Magic - "The Mysterious Mare Do Well"
- Friendship is Magic - "Secret of My Excess"
- Friendship is Magic - "Hearth's Warming Eve"
- Friendship is Magic - "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000"
- Friendship is Magic - "Hearths and Hooves Day"
- Friendship is Magic - "A Friend in Deed"
- Friendship is Magic - "Putting Your Hoof Down"
- Friendship is Magic - "A Canterlot Wedding"
- Friendship is Magic - "Magical Mystery Cure"
- Friendship is Magic - "The Big Mac Question"
- Friendship is Magic - "The Ending of the End"
- Friendship is Magic - "The Last Problem"
- Lyra, Handy
Lyra's excitable and curious nature makes her a really effective mare-of-all-trades, especially if Bon Bon is there to lend a hand!
- Lyra, Very Excitable
"Bon Bon! BON BON! Over here!"
- Lyra, Good Posture
"I don't know why I'm the only pony in Ponyville who sits like this. It's comfy"
- Lyra Heartstrings, Bonafide
Of all the ponies Twilight Sparkle told about her adventures through the magic mirror, Lyra was by far the most curious.
- Lyra, Candy Fiend
Lyra's always had a major sweet tooth, so it's hardly a surprise that she ended up close friends with Bon Bon right after moving to Ponyville.
- Bon Bon, Side by Side
"I try to be a voice of reason for Lyra, but her enthusiasm is just so infectious sometimes"
- Bon Bon, Particularly Patient
"When you're best friends with Lyra, you quickly learn how to work well with others, no matter how "interesting" they might be."
- My Little Pony (Gameloft)
This loving and compassionate unicorn has a lyre for a cutie mark and will certainly tug at anypony's heartstrings!
- Friendship is Magic - "The Maud Couple"
- Lyra, On a Whim
Lyra's stories about hanging out with Pinkie Pie aren't just super interesting, they're super distracting.
- Bon Bon, Minty Fresh
Bon Bon and Lyra met for the first time at one of Pinkie Pie's parties, when Lyra's family was visiting Ponyville. Neither of them remembered until Lyra moved to Ponyville years later!
- A Day in the Life of Equestria volume 1 - Chapter 1
- A Day in the Life of Equestria volume 1 - Chapter 2
- Start building your Pony collection with the magic of friendship – and this Mystery Bag Collection! There are 24 Mystery Bags included in this collection. Each Mystery Bag includes 1 Pony figure and a cool collector card.
- Lyra Heartstrings loves to spend time her friend Sweetie Drops! Inspired by entertainment, this My Little Pony 3-inch Princess Lyra Heartstrings figure has a fresh look. Place the cup accessory on her leg and pretend to take a sip! Also look for Rarity, Princess Twilight Sparkle, and Pinkie Pie entertainment-inspired figures, each with their own accessory. (Each sold separately. Subject to availability.)
- Lyra Heartstrings loves to sing and her voice is as lovely as her name! Inspired by entertainment, this My Little Pony 3-inch Lyra Heartstrings figure has her signature look. Style her hair with the comb accessory and keep this Lyra Heartstrings figure looking cool. Also look for Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Soarin, Applejack, and Sweetie Drops entertainment inspired figures, each with a comb accessory. (Each sold separately. Subject to availability.)
- Get a whole stable of"magical" ponies in the Friendship is Magic Favorite Collection! This collection of elegant ponies includes Queen Chrysalis, Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, Diamond Dazzle Tiara, Lyra Heartstrings and Lyrica Lilac figures. They'll be in your adventures and prance in your collection!
- Welcome to the world of My Little Pony, a place filled with the magic of friendship! meet Twilight sparkle, Pinkie Pie, rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack! these special friends always stick together. Join them for adventures and fun! explore Ponyville, the royal city of Canterlot, and all of Equestria, where kids are sure to meet even more pony friends! My Little Pony toys offer so many ways to play with favorite pony friends. Imaginative playsets help create the world of My Little Pony at home, while fun pony toys have great features including long, colorful hair for styling and accessories for dress up and play! the My Little Pony brand has been a favorite part of growing up for thirty years and counting! the TV series, My Little Pony: friendship is magic, extends the adventure for fans of all ages to enjoy. My Little Pony and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro.
- Design and build a pony your way with the Lyra Heartstrings Starter Kit! The kit has a Lyra Heartstrings pony body you can snap together. Then it’s easy to add her beautiful hair and tail and decorate her with the included stickers. You can even mix it up with parts from other ponies (other kits sold separately). Don’t miss out on the chance to create the most unique and beautiful pony ever! My Little Pony and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro.
- Wait...where's Bon Bon?! PANIC!
- Lyra Heartstrings, the unicorn pony with her magic mint coat and cyan mane, from the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic animated television show gets the vinyl figure treatment! This My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Lyra Heartstrings Vinyl Figure features the unicorn pony as a 6-inch tall vinyl figure. Lyra looks adorable and would make an amazing addition to any girl's or guy's My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic collection!
- The hit series My Little Pony comes to life with Mystery Minis! Standing 2 1/2 Inch tall. Stylized and miniaturized, you can now give your office or TV room a little touch of My Little Pony! You could get Sweetie Drops, Lyra, DJ-PON-3, glow-in-the-dark DJ-PON-3, Octavia, Rainbow Dash, Derpy (Muffins), glow-in-the-dark Derpy (Muffins), Spitfire, Pinkie Pie, Dr. Hooves and Fluttershy!
|Article comments (0)|