My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (comic book)
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was the first, and by far longest running, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic book series by IDW Publishing. At just over 100 issues, Friendship is Magic is also among the longest running comic books based off TV shows and is the second longest running My Little Pony comic, just being beat out by My Little Pony Comic at around 250 issues. Due to its length, Friendship is Magic does not have a consistent tone, story, or creative staff, and thus almost every story is self-contained, but with continuity and arcs.
The comic is presented in much the same way as the show. It is a sitcom, slice-of-life, high adventure blend with both episodic and arc-centric storytellig alike, with shades of longform storytelling here and there. Like the show, it primarily features the Mane Six, but fairly frequently has equal emphasis on other characters, such as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Equestrian Royal Family, Pets of Ponyville, and in very rare instances, characters such as Discord or Tempest Shadow.
A quick list of the stories are as following.
- #1-#4: "The Return of Queen Chrysalis"
- #8-#8: "Nightmare Rarity"
- #9-#10: "Zen and the Art of Gazebo Repair"
- #11-#12: "neigh anything..."
- #13-#14: "The Salty Seamare"
- #15-#16: "The One Worm To Fool Them All"
- #17-#20: "Reflections"
- #21-#22: "Manehattan Mysteries"
- #25-#26: "The Good, The Bad, and the Ponies"
- #27-#28: "The Root of the Problem"
- #30-#31: "Ponyville Days"
- #32-#33: "The Night of the Living Apples"
- #34-#37: "The Siege of the Crystal Empire"
- #38-#39: "Don't You Forget About Us"
- #43-#45: "Ponies of Dark Water"
- #46-#47: "Election"
- #48-#50: "Chaos Theory"
- #51-#53: "Shadow Lock"
- #55-#57: "Wings Over Yakyakistan"
- #61-#62: "Convocation of the Creatures"
- #67-#68: "The Return of Tempest Shadow"
- #75-#78: "Cosmos"
- #89-present: "Friendship is Magic season 10"
Annuals and specials
For the most part, the comics simply featured stories. Some, however, would feature an additional 'backup story' which as much shorter then the main (often less then 4 pages long), usually with a different artist and writer. These stories were often unrelated to the main story, but in rare instances served to give additional context, such as in Friendship is Magic #4 and Friendship is Magic #10. In addition to stories, comics occasionally had cover-galleries or interviews with staff members. Digital additions would often include free previews of other comics, usually from new or upcoming miniseries, specials, or annuals.
Over 100 individual have been accredited across all issues. There is no consistent creative staff, however, Andy Price, Sara Richard, Tony Fleecs, Heather Breckel, Agnes Garbowska, Amy Mebberson, Brenda Hickey, Katie Cook, Thom Zahler, and Jeremy Whitley are generally associoated with the series more than other staffers.