|Address||Bon Bon's House (see notes)|
|Family||Bon Bon's family|
|Voice actor||Tabitha St. Germain|
Andrea Libman (see portrayal)
|First||"Friendship is Magic"|
Sweetie Drops was an Earth Pony from Ponyville, Equestria. In her civilian guise, she was the humble proprietor of Sweetie Drops Candies, but secretly served as a monster hunter for S.M.I.L.E. under the name of Bon Bon. In her private life, she was the romantic partner of Lyra Heartstrings, whom she would later marry.
Bon Bon was raised in Ponyville, first meeting Lyra when her family was visiting the small town, though didn't realized it till much later. She claimed she attended college, however, that may have been a lie. At some point in Ponyville, Bon Bon founded her candy shop, Sweetie Drops Candies.
Bon Bon is generally a good-humored, laughing at all the misfortunes that come her way, several of which come from her romantic partner, Lyra Heartstrings, who she tries to be the 'voice of reason' for, contrasting a more grounded personality to Lyra's more enthusiastic one. She was patient and agreeable, working well with others. Despite this, in many of her early interactions with the Mane Six or related ponies, she was rather nasty, irritable and quick-tempered.
Bon Bon is good friends with Derpy and Berryshine.
Behind the scenes
Sweetie Drops remained unnamed in the television show until season 5's "Slice of Life", however the name "Bon Bon" and "Sweetie Drops" were used interchangeably in toys and merchandise. Notably, "Sweetie Drops" tended to be used more often in more general releases, while "Bon Bon" was used in more 'specific' products aimed at the fandom, such as trading cards rather than broad consumers.
In the episode, "Slice of Life", Sweetie Drops said that Bon Bon was her code name, while Sweetie Drops was her civilian name, was listed under the name 'Bon Bon' in the credits, her first time either of her names were referenced in the television show. Since then, her actress, Andrea Libman, has consistently been credited as the voice of Bon Bon in her subsequent voiced appearances. The earliest known mention of her name 'Sweetie Drops' was in a 2013 release of Friendship is Magic Blind Bags - "Wave 7", which featured the name on her character card. Interestingly, it was either that same year, or late 2012, was the first known official use of her other name, Bon Bon, which was used in My Little Pony: Magic Princess.
Bon Bon was an average sized adult mare with a cream complexion, blue eyes and blue-pink mane and tail. In her young adulthood, she held her hair out long, though curled it as a bun as she grew older. Her work clothes as a S.M.I.L.E. agent consists of a black trench coat and thick sunglasses. As a foal, she also wore glasses, though it's unclear if they were for fashion, eye-protection or if she had astigmatism. Her winter attire consisted of a thick, brown coat, resembling a real-world bomber jacket and fluffy earmuffs.
In the advertisement, My Biggest Pony, Bon Bon was depicted as a giant mare who was otherwise unchanged.
Bon Bon was first the name of a Generation 1 character who appeared in My Little Pony Tales. The two share little similarities aside from a similar interest in cooking, with Tales Bon Bon cooking a whole manner of sweets, rather than just candies. Tales Bon Bon was portrayed by Chiara Zanni, who would go on to voice A.K. Yearling.
In her earliest appearances, Bon Bon (then unnamed) had very few speaking roles, but in those roles she was played by Tabitha St. Germain, with the exception of a single instance where she was instead played by Chantal Strand as a 'walla'. Season 5 onward she was played by Andrea Libman, who would remain her consistent voice all the way until Equestria Girls: Sunset's Backstage Pass, which is to date the characters final speaking appearance.
Bon Bon was among the most prominent background characters among the fandom, with currently 18,000 logged images on Derpibooru and 1,700 fanfics on Fimfiction where she is a prominent character. Bon Bon was featured as among Insider's 259 LGBTQ+ children's characters database, alongside other lesbian characters Aunt Lofty and Aunt Holiday, and much to the fandoms confusion, King Sombra, who was listed as bisexual.
Due to being among the more popular side characters, Bon Bon was sometimes grouped up with Dr. Hooves, Derpy, Vinyl Scratch, Octavia Melody and of course, Lyra, as a sort of 'background six', in contrast to the Mane Six.
Around the world
- Lyra and Bon Bon were once described as "roommates" on a trading card. In lesbian/women-who-love-women culture, calling a couple "roommates" is often used as a way to conceal the fact that they are in a same-sex relationship. Whether or not this was used intentionally as a nod to the ship or not has yet to be confirmed.
- Bon Bon's exact residence has been inconsistent throughout other media. In My Little Pony: Magic Princess, it was said she lived in her own house, while Lyra lived in the Homely Apartments, which even her future incarnation lives in, without Bon Bon. Gameloft seems to treat Lyra and Bon Bon's relationship as something that 'may have' happened, like with how Rainbow Dash and Applejack were implied but unconfirmed to get together, only Lyra and Bon Bon did explicitly get married.
- Bon Bon was once spotted spending the night with Minuette, a recolor of Lyra, implying she might have a 'type'.
- ↑ Friendship is Magic - "Slice of Life"
- ↑ Friendship is Magic - "Pinkie Pride"
- ↑ Lyra and Bon Bon and the Mares From S.M.I.L.E. - Ch. 1
- ↑ The Crystal Games #34 -Bon Bon, Side by Side
- ↑ Equestrian Odysseys - #97 - Bon Bon, Particularly Patient
- ↑ Enterplay series 2
- ↑ Friendship is Magic - "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You"
- ↑ Friendship is Magic - "Marks For Effort"
- ↑ Equestria Girls: Legend of Everfree
- ↑ Behind the Voice Actors - Bon Bon
- ↑ MLP Merch - My Little Pony Equestria Girls Friendship Games Single Photo Finish Doll
- ↑ Amazon - My Little Pony Equestria Girls Photo Finish Doll
- ↑ Friendship is Magic - "Boast Busters"
|V - E - H - DArticle comments (0)|
My Little Pony Ⓒ Hasbro. Equestripedia and its editors do not claim copyright over creative works, imagery, characters, places, or concepts featured within the franchise.