So...are the yaks going to get their own table in here? Or would we package them together with "Animals", seeing as how they're not really mythical creatures? And where would zebras fit in?--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 01:33, 17 March 2020 (UTC)
- And what about unique/not especially numerous animals or mythical creatures like Grogar or Tirek?--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 08:57, 1 April 2020 (UTC)
- I went ahead and made Template:FIM bovines for Yaks, Cattle and Buffalo. As for folks like Tirek and Grogar, I was thinking we could maybe lump them in with a table for characters little to no other members of their species, like Lizardfolk, Cat lords, Kelpie, trolls, etc.
- For Zecora, maybe we can make a template called Template:FIM equines, which contains the pony table, but als has a table for lesser prominent equines, like Zebra, Donkey, Mules, etc.
- Animals should generally be used only for stuff like bunnies, dogs, cats, fish, birds, bears, etc. Theirs not really a hard criteria, but if it's considered wildlife or a pet (with exceptions), it's probably safe to put under the 'animal' category.--Amelia (talk) 17:12, 1 April 2020 (UTC)
- Sounds pretty good. Are you thinking "FIM other characters" or something of that nature?--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 19:52, 1 April 2020 (UTC)
Okay, new question: you think we should stick the big template on all pages for FIM characters?--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 06:31, 10 April 2020 (UTC)
- That was the plan, but don't worry, I'll just use AutowikiBrowserto do it. I should start on that now, actually.--Amelia (talk) 17:08, 10 April 2020 (UTC)
So...several pages with this template link to the nonexistent page "Starlight Glimmer (Friendship is Magic", according to "Special:Whatlinkshere". However, the link isn't an FIM link, and the problem persists despite my editing the template. Any ideas? Also, didn't/shouldn't this template include quite a few more characters? Like the templates for Earth ponies, dragons, etc.?--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 21:32, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
- Could be a lag issue; MediaWiki is notoriously pretty slow with database updates and sometimes the databases just refuse t update. If the issue persists, I'll ask a Miraheze staffer for help. Also; yes and no. Including all the templates an pages made the template kind of a nightmare to navigate and caused some lag. Instead I think linking it + the relevant template is more applicable (I.E what I did on Flurry's page.)
- All right then; sounds good. I'm a bit surprised; the same link was on the Equestria Girls character template, and when I corrected it the EQG pages were removed from the Whatlinkshere list in like a minute or so.
- Speaking of Starlight, is there an article on her still waiting to be imported from the old server?--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 22:11, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
Think there are any other characters who need to go on here? Perhaps links to various other character templates like the individual pony tribes and non-pony races?--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 21:49, 25 April 2021 (UTC)
- Tribes, and major species, and organizations sound like good additions. The individual characters also need to be expanded upon, I was thinking of going city-by-city to add major charactes from each (I.E Lyra and Twist for Ponyville, Fancy Pants and Fleur for Canterlot, etc. Also; a section for villains, crossover characters, and Daring Do mythos/fictional characters I think would be good additions.--Amelia (talk) 00:25, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
- Sounds like a plan.--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 20:14, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
There's a number of pages-including several characters from other Hasbro properties-that include this template but seem unlikely to appear on it...--EmeraldBlitz (talk) 03:32, 4 May 2021 (UTC)
Inclusion and notes
First of all, SORRY! I forgot to edit the main .css page when I posted this, template should work properly in about 10 minutes! Supposedly CTRL+F5 makes it work but I never had success with that.
So I decided not to include every character in the do-over, as that would number in the thousands and that would simply not be useful, but I wasn't really sure who all should be included. My main criteria of inclusion was 'has a toy' since that seems like fair ground, but then I included a few other minor characters who are lore-relevant. May open this up to 'characters with a toy OR are a named character in the mobile game OR have a trading card' since I think that should open it up more but in a reasonable way.
Decided not to include characters from books, comics, etc (aside from a handful), will make another template for them, 'FIM characters/other media' to help keep the templates manageable. May also just make another template for crossover characters/Transformers characters since about 140 identified Cybertronians apparently show up in the two crossover books.
Open to criticisms for the new format and anything I mentioned here, of course. New code is way easier to work with since there's less moving parts and way easier to edit on an individual level.--Amelia (talk) 21:31, 30 March 2023 (UTC)